Blog

Prabhat Diary sells 98% of the business, uncertain times ahead
Comments0

Prabhat Dairy Ltd (PDL) announced on January 21, 2019 that the company has entered into definitive agreements with Tirumala Milk Products Private Limited (“Purchaser”), a wholly owned subsidiary of French dairy multinational Groupe Lactalis, for the slump sale of its dairy business for a consideration of Rs 1,700 cr. PDL's milk business is around 98% of its revenues while cattle feed business is the balance miniscule. The company's plan of exiting core business and concentrating on the insignificant portion of its business, which also commands lower margins and is highly capital intensive, appears to be a move fraught with risks, and thus a negative for the shareholders. 
 
The current transaction would be routed through its subsidiary. The transactions would be in two parts wherein PDL's share in its subsidiary, Sunfresh Agro industries, would be sold to Lactalis for Rs 1,227 cr, while additional Rs 473 cr would come from the slump sale of the dairy business to Sunfresh Agro industries. PDL owns 29% in Sunfresh Agro industries, while remaining 71% is owned by Cheese Land Agro (a wholly owned subsidiary). 
 
Further, the company in its press release has stated that it would like to share a substantial portion of the proceeds from the sale with shareholders as dividends after using the requisite cash for expanding its cattle feed and allied business (animal nutrition & genetics), paying taxes & other costs. Besides, with the shareholders and CCI approvals, the deal is expected to close in Q1FY20. 
 
Post the announcement of the news, the stock price of PDL has fallen significantly, as it has raised concerns about the future growth visibility for the company, since it is selling its core business and focusing on the low margin & high capital intensive business. Further, the market seems to have got discouraged on account of the lack of clarity w.r.t. the cash proceeds that will come into the company. Many brokerages and funds have dropped coverage and have exited positions in them.
 

Author Image

Comment

Recent Post

  • PC Jeweller Demerges its Expo..

    What’s the deal? PC Jewelers recently announced that it would demerge its Export Division and merge with its wholly owned subsidiary - PCJ Gems & Jewellery Limited. Company c..

  • Insurance- Introduction

    Risk and uncertainty are associated with life in some of the other ways. These risks and uncertainties are increasing daily because of the increment in the speed of life. For example, i..

  • Rail Vikas Nigam Ltd. IPO

      Offer Details Price band Rs 17-19 Per Equity Share Offer Open Date Mar 29, 2019 Offer Close Date Apr 03, 2019 Lot Size..

  • Tech Mahindra Buyback

    The Board of Directors of Tech Mahindra Ltd. approved a share buyback for its investors on Feb 21, 2019. The details of the buyback include: Ex-Date: March 5th, 2019 Record Date: Marc..

  • BHEL Buyback

    The Board of Directors of BHEL approved a share buyback for its investors on Oct 25, 2018. The details of the buyback include:  Record Date: November 6th, 2018 Buyback price: Rs...